Since 1976, Northwest Youth Services has been the doorway to safety and the pathway to progress for thousands of young lives. Much has changed in our communities during those years. What has not changed is our commitment to supporting the uniqueness of each youth served.
For runaway, homeless, “throw-away”, abused, neglected and other at-risk youth and young adults, we are their lifeline. NWYS’s mission is: to collaborate with at-risk, runaway and homeless youth to foster self-reliance.
Throughout the years, NWYS has specialized in helping youth who have been marginalized by their choices or simply because of who they are. We believe in the inherent dignity of each young person we serve.
By 2018, we will have the capacity to serve any at-risk, runaway or homeless youth in Skagit and Whatcom Counties.
NWYS Mission Statement
Northwest Youth Services collaborates with at-risk, runaway and homeless youth to foster self-reliance.
Philosophy of Service
• We believe that all children and youth deserve a safe nurturing environment.
• We believe that adolescence is an important time of transition, and that youth need and deserve compassion, encouragement, and support.
• We believe that children and youth should be recognized and valued as a vital part of our community.
• We believe change is needed within society to create a safe and healthy environment for children and youth.
• Youth Centered – We put the needs of children and youth first.
• Potential for Change – We believe in the potential for all people to grow and change, and provide opportunities and tools to facilitate that process.
• Advocacy – We advocate for the interests of children and youth within their families and communities.
• Empowerment – We honor the unique process of each individual and family to meet their challenges and make their own choices for creating health and well-being.
• Family Oriented – We understand that each individual exists within the context of a family, and we work holistically to foster healthy relationships.
• Strength-based Approach – We meet people “where they’re at”, listen with compassion, honor differences, and build on strengths.
• Diversity – We believe that all individuals are important and deserve quality services, and we strive to provide an environment that truly embraces diversity and differences.
• Innovative – We look for innovative solutions and take initiative to provide and promote quality services.